Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Calgary "flames out" in Anaheim

Calgary tries to spark a victory at the Honda Center, but consistent penalty kills and two goals contributed by Ducks team captain Scott Niedermeyer give the Ducks their two points in the standings, as they defeat Calgary 3-2 in overtime.

Three minutes into the game, the Flames were quick to score, as former Duck Todd Bertuzzi fired the shot just inside the Ducks zone to get past JS Giguere. The Ducks would retaliate halfway through the second period on a power play goal scored by Scott Niedermeyer, his first of two. Another former Duck, Curtis Glencross, put the Flames ahead four minutes later, on a one timer that Giguere couldnt catch. Brendan Morrison tied up the score two minutes into the third stanza, seconds after the Ducks kill a penalty. The end of regulation saw the game tied at two apiece.

Overtime began with a minor penalty that was issued at the end of regulation for roughing for each team. Even with a 3 on 3, the Ducks sought the goal that would end the game and Scott Niedermeyer found his chance. Taking a pass from Todd Marchant, Scotty backhanded the puck into the goal within the first 55 seconds of overtime. It was his second goal of the game and the game winner for the Ducks.

The Ducks were vigilant on their defense of powerplays, denying all 7 penalties, 4 of which gave the Flames a man advantage. Five minutes into the first period, George Parros and his Mustache got into a fisticuffs with Andre Roy, sending them both to the bench for a five minute major for fighting. Three minutes into the second period, Flames player Andrew Nystrom sparked a fight with the Duck's most recent acquisition Mike Brown. Both players were sent to the bench for a five minute major penalty for fighting. Ryan Getzlaf earned two minutes in the sin bin for holding midway through the second period, and Chris Pronger also had a penalty in the last thirty seconds of the second period for a roughing call.

George Parros and his Mustache served a minor bench penalty in the beginning of the third period, as it was painfully obvious that 6 men were defending an oncoming Calgary attack. Bret Hedican recieved an interference call for two minutes, and at the end of regulation, Chris Kunitz and Flames player Corey Sarich had a pleasant exchange in front of the Flames goalie, earning them both a minor penalty that left each of their teams a man short in overtime, causing the 3 on 3.

The Ducks never gave up a powerplay goal.

The official in the visitors penalty box had plenty of company as the Flames earned 8 penalties throughout the game, one of which gave the Ducks a powerplay goal.

The Duck's offensive effort was noticeable as they attempted 40 shots throughout the game. JS Giguere defended 21 shots from the Calgary team.

This win earned the Ducks two points in the standings, solidifying their second place perch in their division above Dallas with 61 points to their credit. Also in second place (although first in their division) is the San Jose Sharks, with 82 points to the Boston Bruins 85.

The Ducks next face Atlanta on Sunday. Lets Go Ducks!

No comments: